On behalf of Coach Adam Burton and the WBC committee I’m pleased to provide an update as to what we have been up to off-season and the plans and time frames for winter 2018. Yes, it’s February and summer finals start for some tomorrow; but we feel it is important to keep you informed before you need to ask questions!
Some important dates to lock in:
- Saturday 10th March AND Saturday 17th March: 10am – 12 noon. Junior registration / come try baseball morning at Loyola Reserve. A flyer is currently on the Watsonia Facebook page and our Website. Please ‘Like it and share it with your friends. Alternatively get them contact Murray via email especially if they can’t come on the dates: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior pre season at Loyola:
- Saturday 24th March 10.00 – 12.00noon
- Wednesday 28th March 6pm – 8pm
- Wednesday 4th April 6pm – 8pm
- Saturday 7th April 10.00 – 12.00 noon
- Wednesday 11th April 6pm onwards plus meal/selection
- Junior and Senior season starts Saturday 14th April.
As you may have seen via various social channels the clubroom redevelopment is moving forward. The building tender closes next week, then council works through the tenderers and negotiates etc. Short is that construction will probably start late April/May. This will involve fencing off the current rooms as it will become a construction site.
We are working through the set up of temporary facilities which are likely to be located along the south side or the carpark – so right behind the 1st base line. This will likely include a lunch room for a kitchen/bar/small social area, toilets and change room facilities. We will also have a shipping container for storage and baseball gear. Nothing flash, but once again we’ve done OK for 20 years and will do very well for the next 20+.
The safety top net is also out to tender as the actual steel structure needs to be reinforced, and the final design for the nets is being done at the moment before tender. Final design may be affected by funds remaining from the above.
So; we should get a start to the season in the current facility before we move out. Yes, a goodbye function will no doubt be held!
Burto is committed to 2018 whilst he currently takes Preston into the summer finals campaign. We have had a few early hands go up for coaching positions across the other teams, however eager to hear from anyone thinking of leading a team or keen to be an assistant to learn the ropes. This includes our A1 – A4 teams, EE, EL and junior teams encompassing U17, 15, 13, Rookie Ball and Tee ball. Contact Dom or Burto via email/sms or via email@example.com
Emily Stambanis has taken over communicating with schools following our successful campaign last year. We have clinics confirmed with Mill Park Primary School, Mill Park Heights, St Damian’s and Plenty Parklands Primary coming up. Emily has spoken to club members who can provide some assistance during school hours but if she hasn’t spoken to you and you might be able to assist, reach out to her via firstname.lastname@example.org
The ‘get $100 for you and your friend’ campaign is back!!!!!
Introduce a friend who joins the club and has never played for WBC before, both you and your friend will enjoy $50 off fees this season!
Again, this offer is valid across juniors and seniors and whilst you shouldn’t need an incentive, we want to do our best to ensure money isn’t a barrier to playing baseball. As usual, if you do need to plan to play, please feel free communicate with Treasurer Ry Stanes via ‘email@example.com’ or myself regarding fees, as we will be able to work something out. The MWBL/BV will be confirming costs and fees in the next few weeks, with some rises expected that we will need to pass on so bring a friend and save!
- Give Back Home Loans We are continuing to work with Peter Oates and the team from GBHL during the 2018 season. This relationship has led to around $15k being received by the club in the last few years. If you are thinking about a loan or want to ensure you have the best rate for your current loan, please get in contact with Peter via firstname.lastname@example.org and let Ry know too so we can track their progress. This can be a friend, a neighbour or anyone else thinking about engaging a broker.
- DaVinci Pizza and Pasta Gallery will be on board again in 2018, so keep up the support!
- Tip Top Butchersin Bolton Street Eltham. Get behind the butchers that get behind us!
- Impact Refrigeration Make sure every pub and restaurant you go into know about Clayton’s business.
If you don’t plan on playing this season, please let us know ASAP as we need to confirm team numbers to the MWBL.
See you all at pre-season.
Watsonia Baseball Club
0413 555 892